Global Website Support Officer, Bangkok
Terms of Reference
Global Website Support Officer, IICA-2 (UNOPS)
Digital Engagement Section
UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, is offering a full time position within the Digital Engagement Section, Private Sector Partnerships Service.
UNHCR is a global organization dedicated to saving lives, protecting rights and building a better future for refugees, forcibly displaced communities and stateless people. Every year millions of men, women and children are forced to flee their homes to escape conflict and persecution. We are in over 130 countries, using our expertise to protect and care for millions of people.
The Private Sector Partnerships Service (PSP) sits within UNHCR’s Division of External Relations (DER) and is responsible for mobilizing resources from the private sector for refugees. UNHCR have developed a $1 Billion Private Sector Fundraising Strategy 2018-2025. This strategy focuses on both Individual Giving and Private Partnerships and Philanthropy (PPH) and identifies priority fundraising markets and regions.
Title: Global Website Support Officer
Duty Station: Bangkok, Thailand
Duration: 1 September 2019 – 31 December 2019
Contract Type: International Specialist (UNOPS - IICA2)
Closing date: 20 September 2019
Posting date: 6 September 2019
UNHCR is recruiting a Global Website Support Officer (Digital Engagement Section, Digital Solutions Unit) sub-contracted under UNOPS in Bangkok, Thailand. The successful candidate will be based in Bangkok and working for UNHCR’s External Relations Division, Digital Engagement Section (DES) , Private Sector Fundraising (PSP).
Established in December 1950, the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) is mandated to lead and coordinate international action to protect and assist refugees and other persons of concern. UNHCR has helped over 50 million people to restart their lives and works in 125 countries to care for the world’s millions of refugees, internally displaced and stateless persons.
PSP has been operating for over 10 years, working globally with different UNHCR regional and country offices and conducting a variety of activities to fulfil one simple primary purpose: maximize private sector funds while spreading awareness and advocating for a greater understanding of the refugee story, growing a global community in support of refugees and UNHCR
The increased engagement of digital supporters is at the heart of UNHCR’s private-sector fundraising strategy. The digital engagement team creates, builds, and promotes digital solutions for all UNHCR’s audiences including the public, partners, refugees, governments and colleagues to change the way UNHCR communicates and engages through digital technology and channels.
The Digital Engagement Section sits under PSP (Private Sector Partnerships) within the department of External Relations (DER), and serves departments within DER and the wider organisation.
This position will work with the existing Digital Solution Development team at HQ and in the regional offices to provide support for websites supporting the global Organization's communication and fundraising strategies. This will require streamlining and triaging requests, monitoring websites, troubleshooting incidents and communicating with internal stakeholders.
Duties and responsibilities
The individual contractor will:
- Act as a first point of contact for all requests made to the Digital Solutions Unit
- Streamline, record, evaluate, dispatch requests received from internal stakeholders
- Troubleshoot, escalate or fix incidents, communicate with stakeholders on incidents resolution
- Document incidents and maintain a knowledge base for the support of the websites portfolio
- Monitor and continuously improve existing websites
- Stay aware of security threats and fix/report any identified vulnerabilities
- Produce and maintain technical documentation
- Provide support on existing websites, troubleshoot, analyze and fix software issues
- Work closely and collaborate with other project team members in DES including designers, UX specialists, SEO Officers, Digital marketing officers, Project managers, web analytics specialists and web developers
- Carry out other web-related tasks as requested
Monitoring and Progress Controls
- Maintain the websites technical documentation up to date
- Deliver high quality first level of support, and efficient tracking of open issues
- Maintain the Digital Solutions Knowledge base
Essential minimum qualifications and professional experience required
The ideal candidate will be required to have:
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, Management of Information Systems, Communications, Social Sciences or other related field
- Work Experience:
- Minimum of 6 years' relevant work experience or 5 years for master degree holders.
- Experience supporting websites, troubleshooting issues and tracking incidents
- Knowledge of websites development best practices and standards
- Knowledge of industry-standard web development tools
- Knowledge of basic web security including security audits and OWASP vulnerabilities (desirable)
- Knowledge of code versioning tools including git/github
- Good understanding of the concepts of user experience, user interface design principles and conceptual design (desirable)
- Knowledge of frontent development technologies including bootstrap, jQuery and angular.js (desirable)
- Eye for design and attention to details (desirable)
- Demonstrated ability in providing IT or web support to internal audiences
- Experience working for a UN agency or similar international humanitarian organization (desirable)
Essential Cross - Functional competencies
- Commitment to Continuous Learning – quick learner who is self-motivated, has a positive approach and eager to grow their capabilities. Willingness to keep abreast of new developments in the field of expertise
- Strong analytical, conceptual and problem-solving abilities
- Ability to prioritise and manage multiple projects simultaneously (desirable)
- Teamwork – good interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective working relations in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Planning and Organizing - ability to plan projects and activities, work to tight deadlines, and manage conflicting priorities.
Key Technical Skills
- Technological Awareness – good knowledge in the field of web development and user experience. Good understanding of current online/digital technology
- Professionalism - good knowledge of the field of expertise with good analytical skills, ability to understand complex problems and to deliver appropriate solutions.
- Communication – good spoken and written communication skills, including the ability to liaise with technical staff and present information in a clear and concise style.
- Strong writing skills and technological literacy and ability to use a wide range of web related applications (required)
- Good organisational and project management skills (desirable)
- User Orientation – ability to understand users' needs and to customize services and products accordingly, in order to provide user-friendly and ergonomic solutions that meet user requirements.
- Fluency in English, both verbal and written (required)
- Working knowledge of French or other UN languages is an asset.
The successful candidate will be based in Bangkok, Thailand.
Applicants to this vacancy should meet the following eligibility criteria: Personnel under an internationally issued UNOPS Individual Contractor Agreement (ICA) perform specialist, expert or advisory functions outside their home country or place of residence. Consequently, those holding any national or local contract with the UN (e.g. GS/LICA/local contractor/local consultant etc.), are not eligible to apply to this international vacancy announcement in the same country they were hired, irrespective of their nationality.
Interested applicants should submit an updated and signed Personal History Form (PHF) to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating “Global Website Support Officer” in the subject of the email no later than 20 September 2019 (midnight Copenhagen time).
The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.