Eligibility Associate (VA.NO.015/2020)
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Representation in Thailand
Vacancy Announcement No. 15/2020
Date Issued of the Vacancy Announcement:
18 May 2020
Associate RSD Officer (under supervision of RSD Officer)
Closing Date of the Vacancy Announcement:
27 May 2020
Local Individual Contractor Agreement (UNOPS)
Availability of the Post 01 July 2020 – 31 December 2020 (6 months with possible extension)
The Eligibility Associate is a member of the Refugee Status Determination (RSD) team. S/he is responsible for conducting RSD interviews to determine eligibility for refugee status and drafting RSD assessments at first instance, appeal and re-opening stage. The Eligibility Associate provides counseling to asylum seekers and refugees regarding UNHCR's RSD procedures, their rights and obligations, including towards the host authorities, and the status of the processing of their claims. The Eligibility Associate is responsible for conducting COI and other research related to RSD and maintaining the Operation's local repository of relevant information, guidelines and standards. The Eligibility Associate assists in compiling and analyzing information related to the RSD activities of the Operation, and in drafting related correspondence and reports. S/he is responsible for supporting activities related to the processing of refugee claims and possibly Registration, Community Services, Durable Solutions, and other Protection activities. Furthermore, to prepare for the Royal Thai Government (RTG)’s upcoming implementation of a regulatory framework and national mechanism, the Eligibility Associate will support UNHCR Thailand’s work to facilitate a smooth assumption of responsibilities by the RTG by translating documents from English into Thai and vice versa, support capacity building activities, as well as conducting legal research and preparing reports as needed.
Scope of Assignments
· Undertake refugee status determination (RSD) for first instance, appeal and reopening according to UNHCR guidelines, procedural standards and other relevant materials. Conduct interviews, draft individual case assessments, submit recommendations and undertake necessary follow-ups, taking into account a gender perspective and relevant standards.
· Draft and prepare decision notification letters and other related documentation.
· Provide legal information, advice, counseling and support to asylum-seekers and refugees, as well as relevant partners.
· Identify priority cases for durable solutions in accordance with UNHCR guidelines, under the guidance of the Supervisor(s), as may be required.
· Perform any other tasks as assigned by supervisor, including supporting other protection units as requested.
Monitoring and Progress Controls
· The Eligibility Associate processes RSD cases per week (RSD Interview and RSD Assessment completed), or alternatively appeal- or re-opening reviews according to set targets.
· UNHCR’s RSD procedures are implemented in accordance with relevant UNHCR standards and policies, including policies related to age, gender, and diversity mainstreaming (AGDM).
· Persons of concern have fair and transparent access to the RSD procedures.
· Persons of concern are treated with dignity, respect and professionalism.
· Complex cases, including exclusion and cancellation cases are assessed in a timely manner, taking into consideration UNHCR guidelines, international law and standards, relevant jurisprudence and Country of Origin Information.
Qualifications and Experiences Requirements
· University Degree (Law, Political Science, International Human Rights Law and/or a related field)
· Working experience with principles and procedures related to refugee status determination
· Fluency in spoken and written English and Thai.
· Good research and analytical skills
· Computer Skills
· Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team
· Knowledge of another UN language (Arabic, Chinese) and/or Urdu would be an advantage.
Please submit your Motivation Letter, P.11 form, Curriculum Vitae and a copy of official ID
card/national passport indicating the vacancy announcement number and position title to:
Only candidates under positive consideration will be contacted for a written test and/or
UNHCR/P.11 and supplementary forms can be downloaded from: