Interpreter/Protection Clerk (VA.NO.10/2019)
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Representation in Thailand
Vacancy Announcement No. 10/2019
Equivalent to GS-3
Date Issued of the Vacancy Announcement:
27 February 2019
Closing Date of the Vacancy Announcement:
13 March 2019
Mae Sot, Thailand
Local Individual Contractor Agreement (UNOPS)
Availability of the Position As soon as possible
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide interpretation/translation for staff members as needed.
- Assist the Field Associate/Assistant Protection Officer in police and legal proceedings involving refugees and to interpret in Burmese, Karen, Thai and English for individuals involved in protection cases.
- Assist in liaison with the refugee leaders on individual cases and protection issues.
- Assist in organizing and conducting awareness raising activities on core UNHCR issues, primarily SGBV, as well as child protection and durable solutions, particularly voluntary repatriation.
- Support focus group discussions in the camps.
- Assist in preparing and disseminating information for refugees, particularly in relation to the situation in Myanmar and future durable solutions.
- Conduct simple follow up on protection cases, under the close guidance of the Field Associate and the Assistant Protection Officer.
- Assist the resettlement/durable solutions unit in identifying and interviewing individuals interested in resettlement and in providing basic resettlement-related counseling.
- Assist the district/provincial registration teams with monthly registration updates in camp.
- Update proGres database and physical files with relevant case information and developments, including on resettlement status, birth registration, etc
Qualifications and Required Competencies
- Post-secondary training/certificate in Secretarial Work, Translation, Legal/Protection, Social Work and/or related field.
- Three years professional experiences relevant to the function.
- Familiarity with the refugee camps and the background and context of the Myanmar refugees in Thailand
- Fluency in written and spoken Burmese, Karen, and English required. Fluency in written and spoken Thai is desirable.
- Demonstrated sensitivity in dealing with vulnerable refugees and knowledge of the basic principles of casework such as confidentiality and survivor choice
- Good communication skills, particularly for communicating with refugees in the camp setting
- Prior experience in interpretation/translation and facilitating training is desirable.
Please submit your Motivation Letter, P.11 form, Curriculum Vitae and a copy of official ID card/national passport indicating the vacancy announcement number and position title to:
Candidates who are not Thai nationals are required to submit with their application evidence of their right to work in Thailand.
Only candidates under positive consideration will be contacted for a written test and/or interview.
UNHCR/P.11 and supplementary forms can be downloaded from: https://www.unhcr.or.th/sites/default/files/u11/P11_UNHCR.docm and