Senior Medical Admin Assistant/Nurse (VA.No.02/2019) - RO
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Regional Office for South-East Asia in Thailand
Vacancy Announcement No. 02/2019
Senior Medical Admin Assistant/Nurse
General Service (GS) - 5
Date Issued of the Vacancy Announcement:
29 January 2019
Senior Medical Officer
Closing Date of the Vacancy Announcement:
11 February 2019
Availability of the Position As soon as possible
As part of the Medical Section team, and in support to the Senior Medical Officer, the Senior Medical Admin Assistant/Nurse will provide administrative, logistic, support to the health projects/programmes and emergency support identified at strategic planning s/he will also collaborate very closely with other regional/HQ medical offices. The incumbent works in strict respect of medical confidentiality.
This position is responsible for supporting the Medical Section daily administrative activities in the duty station and supporting the implementation of health promotion programmes, travel medicine and emergency medicine and occupational health interventions.
The Senior Medical Admin Assistant/Nurse is expected to regularly update his/her medical competencies and knowledge, as for all medical colleagues, especially within the domains of travel medicine, infectious diseases, occupational medicine and emergency and disaster medicine.
The Senior Medical Admin Assistant/Nurse should be aware of the rules and procedures regarding the social security of UNHCR staff and their families, strong experience in and familiarity with occupational health and safety standards
Work relations within UNHCR foresee contacts on a daily basis with clients in the duty station in respect of medical evacuations, sick leave, education and dependency grants and other medical administrative matters. It also foresee working relationships with health care providers, interagency counterparts and other stakeholders. The post requires a strong degree of cultural awareness and capacity to positively interact with people of diverse backgrounds.
Accountability (key results that will be achieved)
Responsibility (process and functions undertaken to achieve results)
Essential Minimum Qualifications and Professional Experiences Required
- Completion of secondary school with a nationally or internationally recognized and valid nursing qualification (e.g. SRN UK - State Registered Nurse).
- BLS certification.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in nursing, of which at least 3 years should be in a capacity directly relevant to the current position, preferably in a UN medical service or equivalent environment.
- Experience, with ongoing professional development in the field of travel/tropical medicine, occupational health and emergency medicine.
- Experience in project management in health promotion, prevention and protection interventions.
- Excellent communication, presentation and drafting skills and ability to understand diverse medical terminology.
- Strong knowledge and full command of the most common office digital software.
- Strong experience in and familiarity with occupational health and safety administrative.
- Experience in dealing with multiple crises and emergency settings; ability to come up with innovative and creative solutions to operational challenges.
- Experience in managing occupational health and safety record systems software's. Strong experience in IT.
- Fluency in English and local language.
Desirable Qualifications and Competencies
- Completion of formation (diploma/ baccalaureate) medico-assistant.
- Completion of the Secondary education with post-secondary training/certificate in Business Administration, Finance, Human Resources or related field. Experience in UNHCR administrative procedures in travel management, purchase ordering and/or requisitioning.
- Extensive knowledge of all UN-wide health care policies and protocols (e.g. medical evacuation procedures, etc.)
- Knowledge of the occupational health electronic record system.
- Experience or training in Occupational Health.
- Training in the field of travel/tropical medicine and emergency medicine (certification in PHTLS, BLS, ACLS, are an asset).
- Training/instructor certification and experience and facilitation is an asset.
- Extensive knowledge of the WHO International Statistical Classification of Disease and Related Health Problems (ICD10).
- Knowledge of UNMIS, MIP and UN Compensation Committee and Pension Fund Rules.
Please submit your Fact Sheet and/or P.11 form together with Motivation Letter indicating the vacancy announcement number, position number and position title to THAROBKK@unhcr.org.
Candidates under positive consideration will be contacted for a written test and/or interview.
UNHCR/P.11 forms can be downloaded from: https://www.unhcr.or.th/sites/default/files/u11/P11_UNHCR.docm