Interpreter/Protection Clerk (VA.No.30/2017)
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Representation in Thailand
Vacancy Announcement No. 30/2017
Equivalent to GS-3
18 July 2017
31 July 2017
Mae Sot, Thailand
Local Individual Contractor Agreement (UNOPS)
Availability of the Position As soon as possible
Duties and Responsibilities
· Provide interpretation/translation for staff members as needed.
· Assist the Assistant Protection Officer in police and legal proceedings involving refugees and to interpret in Karen, Thai and English for individuals involved in protection cases.
· Assist in liaison with the refugee leaders on individual cases and protection issues.
· Assist in organizing and conducting awareness raising activities on core UNHCR issues, including SGBV, child protection and durable solutions, particularly voluntary repatriation.
· Support focus groups discussions in the camps.
· Assist in preparing and dissemination information for refugees, particularly in relation to the situation in Myanmar and future durable solutions.
· Conduct simple follow up on protection cases, under the close guidance of the Assistant Protection Officer and the Protection Officer.
· Assist the resettlement/durable solutions unit in identifying and interviewing individuals interested in resettlement and in providing basic resettlement-related counseling.
· Assist the district/provincial registration teams with monthly registration updates in camp.
· Update ProGres database with relevant case information and developments, including on resettlement status, birth registration, etc.
Qualifications and Required Competencies
· Post-secondary training/certificate in Business Administration, Secretarial Work, Translation and/or related field.
· Three years professional experiences relevant to the function.
· Familiarity with the refugee camps and the background and context of the Myanmar refugees in Thailand
· Fluency in written and spoken Karen and/or Burmese, English and Thai
· Demonstrated sensitivity in dealing with vulnerable refugees and knowledge of the basic principles of casework such as confidentiality and survivor choice
· Good communication skills, particularly for communicating with refugees in the camp setting
Please submit your Motivation Letter, P.11 form, Curriculum Vitae and a copy of official ID card/national passport indicating the vacancy announcement number and position title to:
Applications will not be acknowledged. Only candidates under positive consideration will be contacted for a written test and/or interview.
P.11 form can be downloaded from: http://unhcr.or.th/sites/default/files/p11.doc