Eligibility Associate VA.No. 23/2017
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Representation in Thailand
Vacancy Announcement No. 23/2017
Equivalent to GS-6
Date Issued of the Vacancy Announcement:
12 May 2017
Associate RSD Officer (under supervision of RSD Officer)
Closing Date of the Vacancy Announcement:
25 May 2017
Local Individual Contractor Agreement (UNOPS)
Availability of the Post 01 July 2017 – 31 December 2017 (6 months)
The Eligibility Associate is a member of the Refugee Status Determination (RSD) Project team. S/he is responsible for conducting RSD interviews to determine eligibility for refugee status and drafting RSD assessments at first instance, appeal and re-opening stage, though the project has a particular focus on processing and adjudicating appeal applications. The Eligibility Associate provides counseling to asylum seekers and refugees regarding UNHCR's RSD procedures, their rights and obligations, including towards the host authorities, and the status of the processing of their claims. In discharging these responsibilities, the Eligibility Associate liaises with the direct supervisor and possibly Registration, Community Services, Resettlement, and other Protection staff. The Eligibility Associate is responsible for conducting COI and other research related to RSD and maintaining the Operation's local repository of relevant information, guidelines and standards. The Eligibility Associate assists in compiling and analyzing information related to the RSD activities of the Operation, and in drafting related correspondence and reports. The Eligibility Associate may provide interpretation and/or translation services in cases for which s/he has the required language competencies. S/he is responsible for supporting activities related to the processing of refugee claims in the Operation.
Scope of Assignments
· Undertake refugee status determination (RSD) for first instance, appeal and reopening according to UNHCR guidelines, procedural standards and other relevant materials. Conduct interviews, draft individual case assessments, submit recommendations and undertake necessary follow-ups, taking into account a gender perspective and relevant standards.
· Draft and prepare decision notification letters and other related documentation.
· Provide legal information, advice, counseling and support to asylum-seekers and refugees, as well as relevant partners.
· Identify priority cases for durable solutions in accordance with UNHCR guidelines, under the guidance of the Supervisor(s), as may be required.
· Undertake any other duties and perform other functions as required.
Monitoring and Progress Controls
· The Eligibility Associate processes four to five first instance RSD cases per week (RSD Interview and RSD Assessment completed), or alternatively appeal- or re-opening reviews according to set targets.
· UNHCR’s RSD procedures are implemented in accordance with relevant UNHCR standards and policies, including policies related to age, gender, and diversity mainstreaming (AGDM).
· Persons of concern have fair and transparent access to the RSD procedures.
· Persons of concern are treated with dignity, respect and professionalism.
· Complex cases, including exclusion and cancellation cases are assessed in a timely manner, taking into consideration UNHCR guidelines, international law and customs, relevant jurisprudence and Country of Origin Information.
Qualifications and Experiences Requirements
· University Degree (Law, Political Science, International Human Rights Law and/or a related field)
· Working experience with principles and procedures related to refugee status determination
· Excellent Communication and English Drafting Skills
· Good research and analytical skills
· Computer Skills
· Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team
· Fluency in spoken and written English.
· Knowledge of another UN language (Arabic, Chinese) and/or Urdu would be an advantage.
Please submit your Motivation Letter, P.11 and Curriculum Vitae indicating the vacancy announcement number and position title to: THABAHR@unhcr.org
Applications will not be acknowledged. Only the successful candidate will be notified of the outcome of the selection process.
P.11 form can be down loaded from: http://unhcr.or.th/sites/default/files/p11.doc