Senior Protection Assistant VA. No.18/2017
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Representation in Thailand
Vacancy Announcement No. 18/2017
Senior Protection Assistant
Equivalent to GS-5
Date Issued of the Vacancy Announcement:
25 April 2017
Associate Protection Officer
Closing Date of the Vacancy Announcement:
08 May 2017
Local Individual Contractor Agreement (UNOPS)
Availability of the Post As soon as possible
Accountability (key results that will be achieved)
- Populations of concern will be protected through the application of relevant international and national laws and UN/UNHCR protection standards and principles.
- Protection activities will be guided by the UNHCR country protection strategy.
- The participation of persons of concern will be facilitated through supporting participatory and other rights- and community-based approaches.
- Protection incidents will be identified and addressed.
Responsibility (process and functions undertaken to achieve results)
- Consistently apply relevant international and national laws and applicable UN/UNHCR policies, standards, and codes of conduct.
- Comply with Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for all protection/solutions activities.
- Ensure that detained asylum-seekers and refugees in IDC have opportunity to identify themselves in front of UNHCR and notify the supervisor accordingly, so that further intervention with the Immigration authorities for release on grounds of specific needs can be initiated.
- Identify new applications for asylum from the detained population and share with the office without delay.
- Prepare on a regular basis the statistics of asylum-seekers and refugees in IDC, and update such information in UNHCR’s ProGres database.
- In coordination with the Immigration authorities, prepare monthly lists of refugees and asylum-seekers on bail and monitor bail extension procedures and compliance.
- Monitor and engage with airport detention facilities upon identification of potential asylum-seekers.
- Provide Protection counseling to asylum-seekers and refugees detained in IDC or airport facilities, at the Bangkok Refugee Center (BRC) or elsewhere. Refer cases to the supervisor/relevant entities should they require further action.
- Monitor detention conditions for asylum-seekers and refugees and notify the supervisor of concerns.
- Coordinate and keep abreast of communication/situations with IDC authorities and concerned organizations to ensure that UNHCR persons of concern receive a proper response in due course.
- Monitor and report to the office any refoulement attempts in detention.
- Assist in the Resettlement counseling process and with relevant Immigration processes required prior to departures.
- Coordinate with the Immigration authorities, the International Organization for Migration (IOM), and embassies to ensure the timely accomplishment of resettlement/departure documentation.
- In collaboration with Protection Associate, train Protection Interns to function Protection tasks as assigned.
- Perform other Protection duties as required.
Authority (decisions made in executing responsibilities and to achieve results)
- Prepare the list of persons of concern who are eligible for cash-based intervention on a monthly basis.
- Preliminarily interview/counsel persons of concern who are in need of protection for further referral on priority/urgent basis.
- Enforce integrity in the delivery of protection services by local implementing partners.
Qualifications and Experiences Requirements
· Thai national only.
· University degree in Law, Internation Law, Political Sciences or related fields.
· Minimum two years experiences with refugees and/or in related field.
· Knowledge of computer and use of varuious computer software packages, i.e. MS Word, Excel, Access.
· Good knowledge of written and spoken English and Thai.
· Knowledge of ProGres and completion of UNHCR specific learning/training activities would be advantage.
Please submit your Motivation Letter, P.11 and Curriculum Vitae indicating the vacancy announcement number and position title to: THABAHR@unhcr.org
Applications will not be acknowledged. Only the successful candidate will be notified of the outcome of the selection process.
P.11 form can be down loaded from: http://unhcr.or.th/sites/default/files/p11.doc