Interpreter/Outreach Support (Somali) VA.No. 15/2017
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Representation in Thailand
Vacancy Announcement No. 15/2017
Interpreter/Outreach Support (Somali)
Equivalent to GS-3
Date Issued of the Vacancy Announcement:
07 April 2017
Senior Protection Assistant
Closing Date of the Vacancy Announcement:
20 April 2017
Local Individual Contractor Agreement (UNOPS)
Availability of the Position 01 June 2017 – 30 November 2017 (6 months with possible extension based on satisfactory performance and availability of fund)
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Provide accurate, timely and professional interpretation, from Somali language to English, to UNHCR staff and/or official Government counterparts and Implementing Partners, as needed, in the course of protection-related interviews, and in particular Registration interviews, RSD First Instance and Appeal interviews, UNHCR RST interviews and resettlement country (mission) interviews, and Legal and Community Service PRO interviews and interventions.
2. Translate documents accurately and in a timely manner from Somali language to English and vice versa.
3. Under the supervision of and with the guidance from UNHCR Protection staff, to relay general information and provide counselling in Somali language to individuals/groups as needed.
4. Assist with the daily incoming filing of documents received from Persons of Concern (POC) to the Reception area.
5. Assist with the development and production of audio-visual aids in the Somali language to explain certain processes and procedures to POCs, taking into consideration literacy levels of Somali speaking POC.
6. Contribute to the Somali language glossary of terms and vocabulary commonly used in the RSD process.
7. Provide interpretation and translation services to UNHCR Implementing Partners for services such as psychological counselling and assessment, medical appointments and assessments, CBI interviews, Best Interest Assessments for minor POCs, and emergency protection intervention.
8. Carry out other duties as required by the Office.
Qualificationsand Required Competencies
· Completion of Secondary education, completion of or ongoing university studies a plus.
· Completion of Interpreter training course a plus.
· Academic background in international protection or Human Rights a plus.
· Previous experience, whether formal or informal in interpretation and translation, preferred.
· Previous experience working with vulnerable populations preferred.
· Fluency in Somali language, both written and spoken.
· Fluency in English, both written and spoken.
· Knowledge of computer applications, Microsoft Office package (Word and Excel).
· Good writing and communication skills.
· Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment and respect diversity.
· Knowledge and/or previous experience of refugee context in Thailand is an asset.
Please submit your Motivation Letter, P.11 form, Curriculum Vitae and a copy of official ID card/national passport indicating the vacancy announcement number and position title to:
Only candidates under positive consideration will be contacted for a written test and/or interview.
P.11 form can be downloaded from: http://unhcr.or.th/sites/default/files/p11.doc