ICT Associate (VA.NO.26/2019)
UNITED NATIONS HIGH COMMISSIONER FOR REFUGEES (UNHCR)
INTERNAL / EXTERNAL VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
Vacancy Notice No. 26/2019
Title of Post
General Service, G6
Type of contract
Fixed-term appointment (on replacement capacity)
Date of Issue
23 September 2019
Effective date of assignment
As soon as possible
06 October 2019
Under the overall supervision of a (Senior) Regional ICT Officer, the ICT Associate provides reliable and timely ICT services on the application and infrastructure of UNHCR standard ICT services in the Area of Responsibility (AoR). S/he receives technical guidance from Senior Regional ICT Officer or Regional ICT Officer responsible for the Telecom/IT infrastructure in the region in which the field or emergency operation exists. In offices where there is no (Regional) ICT Officer, direct supervision may be exercised by the (Snr) Admin Officer as applicable in the duty station.
Accountability (key results that will be achieved)
- UNHCR Country offices in the AoR have modern and cost-effective ICT systems.
- UNHCR ICT equipment and data are protected.
Responsibility (process and functions undertaken to achieve results)
- Assist in on-site needs assessment and installation and maintenance of UNHCR Telecommunications and IT equipment.
- In consultation with the Senior Regional ICT officer, establish the ICT requirements in field operations, taking into account the overall IT and Telecom strategy of the region, the operational needs and the security constraints.
- Install and configure the most appropriate type of UNHCR IT and Telecommunications systems (HF, VHF, UHF, Microwave Links, Telephony, and satellite systems) to meet the field and emergency operations immediate ICT needs.
- Ensure that the equipment under his/her responsibility is in good working condition, by inspecting regularly the hardware and installations. If required, arrange promptly repairs or replacement as necessary according to established procedures.
- Maintain records of the installations and repairs/replacements done and keep the Regional ICT officer fully informed on the status of the equipment.
- Provide each office, where equipment is installed, with full information for their asset management records.
- If applicable, keep a proper inventory level of all sites spares and return spare parts for repair/replacement.
- Monitor and maintain the LAN, Network Servers, Printers, LAN points, Hubs, Patch pane, etc. to prevent faults occurring.
- Add or remove users from the Network.
- Assist in the maintenance of accurate records of users and usage of the Network.
- Carry out minor hardware maintenance.
- Provide Technical Briefing/Training on the equipment to local ICT resources and users, including IPs, ensuring that they are able to maintain/use the equipment.
- Assist in the development and configuration of IT and Telecom Equipment/Kits used in field operations and emergencies.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Authority (decisions made in executing responsibilities and to achieve results)
- Decide on appropriate resolution to incidents / problems.
- Escalate issues to supervisor if incident / problem cannot be resolved with scope of responsibility.
Essential Minimum Qualifications and Experience:
- Completion of Secondary School or equivalent technical school with formal training and certification on relevant ICT related fields.
- Minimum 6 years of job experience relevant to the function or particularly on HF/VHF radio or IT systems, PAMA satellite systems, PABX, Cisco routers and satellite modems.
- Knowledge of computer application packages such as MS Office.
- Fluency in English and Thai.
Desirable Qualifications & Competencies:
- Knowledge of other UN languages.
- Hands-on experience with wireless and VoIP systems, electricity, generators, lightning protection an asset.
- Previous experience in Emergencies is an advantage.
- Training experience.
- Empowering and Building Trust
- Analytical Thinking
- Innovation and Creativity
- Technological Awareness
Internal candidates: Interested staff members should consult the Policy and Procedures on Assignments of Locally recruited Staff (IOM/49-FOM/50/2012 dated 15 June 2012). If you have questions regarding your eligibility, you may also contact the HR Unit.
An applicant who has internal status is a staff member holding an indefinite or fixed-term appointment in any duty station in the country. Former UNHCR General Service staff members, having held an indefinite or fixed-term appointment for an uninterrupted period of at least one year may apply for internally advertised vacancies at their previous grade or equivalent or one grade above, if the seniority requirements are met, for a period of two years following separation (if such criteria are not met, former staff members can still apply as external candidates).
External candidates: External candidates must meet the essential minimum requirements of the position and candidates not citizens of the country must comply with all eligibility requirements for employment in line with the prevailing legislative prerequisites in the country.
A competitive compensation and benefits package is offered. For information on UN salaries, allowances and benefits, please visit the portal of the International Civil Service Commission at: http://icsc.un.org
Submission of Applications:
If you wish to be considered for this vacancy, please submit your letter of motivation, updated factsheet (for internals), signed Personal History Form (for externals) by e-mail clearly stating the position title, vacancy notice number and your Last Name in the subject line to THABAHR@unhcr.org by the closing date.
The Personal History Form and its supplementary sheet can be downloaded from:
https://www.unhcr.or.th/sites/default/files/u11/P11_UNHCR.docm and https://www.unhcr.or.th/sites/default/files/u11/P11SUP_UNHCR.docm
No late applications will be accepted. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Shortlisted candidates may be required to sit for a written test and/or oral interview. UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, processing or any other fees).
UNHCR strongly encourages qualified female applicants for this position. UNHCR seeks to ensure that male and female employees are given equal career opportunities. UNHCR is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality.
Refugees – who cares? We Do