Field Associate (Protection) (VA.NO.16/2019)
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Representation in Thailand
Vacancy Announcement No. 16 /2019
Field Associate (Protection)
Equivalent to GS-6
Date Issued of the Vacancy Announcement:
01 August 2019
Assistant Durable Solutions Officer
Closing Date of the Vacancy Announcement:
14 August 2019
Mae Sot, Thailand
Local Individual Contractor Agreement (UNOPS)
Availability of the Position As soon as possible
Scope of Assignment
Duties and Responsibility
- Stay alert of political, social, economic and cultural developments which may have an impact on the protection operating environment.
- Support UNHCR’s consultative process with local government counterparts, partners and persons of concern for effective needs and risk assessment and planning, including for the preparation of the AOR´s protection and durable solutions strategy.
- Support the implementation, reporting and evaluation of the AOR´s protection and durable solutions strategy and the delivery of its operational components.
- Act as a focal point for the protection outreach, which includes planning and organizing protection outreach activities in the camps in close coordination with relevant sectors internally and NGO/CBO partners.
- Facilitate and monitor UNHCR’s responses in addressing protection concerns arising in the camps.
- Maintain protection presence and promote confidence building through regular field visits to the 3 Temporary Shelters and reports, making direct contact with persons of concern, host communities, local authorities and partners.
- Monitor and control Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for all protection and durable solutions activities.
- Facilitate the identification of durable solution needs through monitoring, analysis and contact with populations of concern.
- Facilitate effective systematization and management of data to enhance monitoring, response and evaluation mechanisms.
- Assist in developing and implementing UNHCR’s communication strategy to generate support from local counterparts.
- Perform any other duty, as requested.
- Prioritize persons and groups of concern for interview and follow up.
- Negotiate with local counterparts, partners and populations of concern to resolve protection and assistance problems.
- Enforce compliance with, and integrity of, standard operating procedures with implementing partners.
- Initiate individual payment requests for persons of concern.
Qualifications and Required Competencies
- Completion of post-secondary school.
- Certificate/ training in International Law, Political Science or related field is required.
- Good computer skills
- Knowledge of UNHCR software platform particularly proGres is an added value.
- Proficiency in English is essential
- Knowledge of local language(s) in both written and verbal communication is desirable.
- 6 years professional experiences relevant to the function.
Please submit your Motivation Letter, P.11 form, Curriculum Vitae and a copy of official ID card/national passport indicating the vacancy announcement number and position title to:
Candidates who are not Thai nationals are required to submit with their application evidence of their right to work in Thailand.
Only candidates under positive consideration will be contacted for a written test and/or interview.
UNHCR/P.11 and supplementary forms can be downloaded from: https://www.unhcr.or.th/sites/default/files/u11/P11_UNHCR.docm and