Senior Protection Assistant (Statelessness) (VA.NO.38/2018)
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Representation in Thailand
Vacancy Announcement No. 38/2018
(Extended Closing Date)
Senior Protection Assistant (Statelessness)
Equivalent to GS-5
Date Issued of the Vacancy Announcement:
24 September 2018
Associate Protection Officer (Statelessness)
Closing Date of the Vacancy Announcement:
15 October 2018
Local Individual Contractor Agreement (UNOPS)
Availability of the Position As soon as possible
Scope of Assignment
The Senior Protection Assistant (Statelessness) will work closely with ADRA and/or any other implementing or operational partners to monitor the Statelessness Reduction and Community Sensitization project, to ensure the project activities are appropriately undertaken, as well as the services and assistance are effectively delivered to the targeted population of concern. The deployment of the incumbent to project sites is crucial for the evaluation of the project. He/She will work with ADRA's Program Coordinator and Project Manager in the field and provide guidance if and when requested. The incumbent will be tasked to observe the processing of nationality applications and the acceptance of the project in order to draft recommendations for adjustments, if needed, and identify additional areas to which the project could eventually expand.
The Senior Protection Assistant (Statelessness) will also perform the following duties:
- Monitor statelessness related developments in Thailand and report to his/her hierarchy political, legislative, judicial and societal developments relating to access to nationality and the legal status of stateless persons.
- Monitor and analyze statelessness related activities organized and implemented by civil society actors, research networks and stateless communities.
- Liaise with relevant governmental counterparts at district, provincial and national level on issues relating to access to nationality, including legislative reform.
- Identify opportunities to support the effort undertaken by governmental counterparts through an increased technical or logistical cooperation.
- Identify opportunities, appropriate fora, and the suitable format for sustainable advocacy initiatives aiming at increased access to rights for stateless persons, including the right to nationality and Thailand's accession to the statelessness conventions.
- Engage in initiatives implying interaction with counterparts after seeking general orientation and guidance.
- Translate key documents from Thai into English, and vice-versa. Review translations commissioned to third parties.
- Provide legal counseling to certain individual cases.
- Organize, support logistics and facilitate capacity building activities, field trips and missions, among other activities in the field.
- Any other reasonable duties as required.
Qualifications and Required Competencies
- Thai national preferred.
- A Bachelor degree in political science, international public law, international private law or similar is essential.
- A Master degree in the above mentioned specializations is a strong asset.
- Any additional degree or qualification certifying legal, political, ethnological or sociological skills are a strong asset.
- Previous work experience with UN agencies, non-governmental organizations or research networks is an asset.
- Previous exposure to thematic fields relating to access to nationality, civil registration, legislation on nationality is a strong asset.
- Experience in working with hill tribe communities and ethnic minorities in border areas will be helpful in order to monitor the implementation of the project in remote areas of multi-cultural communities.
- Knowledge of minority groups and exposure to projects for ethnic minorities, in particular on statelessness related issues is an asset.
- Work experience on statelessness related thematic fields is suitable, as well as familiarity with the situation of persons with legal status issues, the nationality application process, the issuance of civil status documentation, birth registration and the general situation in remote border areas.
- Knowledge of the national legal framework on nationality and civil registration is an asset, as well as in-depth knowledge of the international public law framework aiming at the protection of stateless persons and the prevention of statelessness.
- Fluency in English both (oral and writing) is essential.
- Experience in translating written content and interpretation (Thai/English) during meetings and conferences will be a meaningful resource.
- The incumbent should be experienced in using Microsoft Word, Excel and Powerpoint documents and should be able to prepare legal analysis, monitoring reports, tracking sheets, overviews, briefing notes, briefing kits and other documents using these software.
- The incumbent is expected to spend a considerable amount of time travelling to project sites where monitoring activities are undertaken. Mission often take place over weekends and request to stay overnight in remote locations. Willingness to travel over long period of time and upon short notice is expected.
- The incumbent is expected to prepare monitoring reports reflecting the progress made by the implementing or operational partners. He/She is expected to draft and structure reports and related content to be shared with stakeholders and counterparts. He/She will also support internal reporting requirements, including but not limited to statistical reports.
Please submit your Motivation Letter, P.11 form, Curriculum Vitae and a copy of official ID card/national passport indicating the vacancy announcement number and position title to:
Candidates who are not Thai nationals are required to submit with their application evidence of their right to work in Thailand.
Only candidates under positive consideration will be contacted for a written test and/or interview.
UNHCR/P.11 and supplementary forms can be downloaded from: https://www.unhcr.or.th/sites/default/files/u11/P11_UNHCR.docm and
- All UNHCR staff members in Thailand
- UN organizations in Thailand
- Specialized Agencies
- Diplomatic Missions
- International NGOs
- Non-government Organizations