Associate External Relations Officer (VA.NO.37/2018)
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Representation in Thailand
Vacancy Announcement No. 37/2018
Associate External Relations Officer
Equivalent to P-2
Date Issued of the Vacancy Announcement:
06 September 2018
Representative in Thailand
Closing Date of the Vacancy Announcement:
20 September 2018
Office of the Representative
International Individual Contractor Agreement (UNOPS)
Availability of the Position 01 January 2019 – 31 December 2019
(with possible extension based on satisfactory performance and availability of fund)
Scope of Assignment
- Stay abreast of key developments and challenges in Thailand, the region, and globally, relating to refugees, asylum seekers, internal displacement, statelessness, and humanitarian operations.
- Liaise closely with all Units in Thailand to keep up-to-date on programmes and activities, and challenges and progress posed by the political, economic, and social context in order to gather and collate accurate information relating to the Operation.
- Develop and consolidate information for external and internal documents such as Fact Sheets, Global Appeal, Mid-Year and Annual Reports, Thailand’s Country Operation Plan, donor reports, and external updates.
- Assist in responses to donors such as narrative reporting, and visibility requirements.
- Act as focal point for donor visibility, and brand compliance across the Operation.
- Compile, draft, edit, and fact-check information and products submitted by Units for external dissemination.
- In support of the Representative, act as focal point for activities relating to the United Nations Country Team in Thailand, and other inter-agency initiatives.
- Conduct outreach activities on behalf of the Office such as presentations at schools and universities.
- Liaise with Private Sector Partnerships colleagues on issues relating to public information.
- Work closely with UNHCR regional PI/communications staff in South East Asia, and focal points in HQ on communications initiatives and messaging.
- Act as a spokesperson for UNHCR, handling interview requests, and providing responses to requests from media relating to UNHCR and its work.
- Draft talking points and messages for the Office, and for sharing with communicators at regional and global level.
- Draft press releases, press lines, and ‘if-asked’ guidance notes, social media outputs, website content; working closely with colleagues across the operation, region and at HQ.
- Produce and encourage colleagues across the operation to produce strategic and general interest news and human interest stories for dissemination to external audiences.
- Maintain an up to date database of journalists and media organizations
- Perform other duties as required.
Qualifications and Required Competencies
- Degree in Political or Social Science, International Relations, Refugee law, Journalism or other related fields
- At least four years years’ previous job experience with relevant experience to the function and one year working in an international capacity.
- Experience in (UNHCR) humanitarian operations in the field would be considered positively.
- Excellent writing and communication skills.
- Computer literacy: advanced computer knowledge and experience in the use of other software packages will be an added advantage.
- Knowledge of using multi-media materials to reach different audiences.
- Fluency in English. Knowledge of Thai is not essential but would be considered positively.
- Strong inter-personal and team skills
Please submit your Motivation Letter, P.11 form, Curriculum Vitae and a copy of official ID card/national passport indicating the vacancy announcement number and position title to:
Only candidates under positive consideration will be contacted for a written test and/or interview.
UNHCR/P.11 and supplementary forms can be downloaded from: https://www.unhcr.or.th/sites/default/files/u11/P11_UNHCR.docm and