Field Associate (VA.No. 34/2017)
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Representation in Thailand
Vacancy Announcement No. 34/2017
General Service (GS) - 6
Date Issued of the Vacancy Announcement:
15 November 2017
Closing Date of the Vacancy Announcement:
28 November 2017
Mae Sot, Thailand
The Field Associate is supervised by the Protection Officer or Head of Office and performs a variety of functions related to Field activities within the office. The supervisor defines general work objectives and provides necessary advice and guidance. The Field Associate may supervise some General Service support staff.
The incumbent keeps frequent internal contacts with staff members in the same duty station to exchange information, to establish understanding of respective needs; to ensure provision of services and resolution of problems and with the external contacts generally with officials of national and international institutions, leaders of the refugee community, local population and/or Implementing Partners (IPs) on subject matters which may be of importance to the Organization.
Accountability (key results that will be achieved)
- UNHCR’s policies, standards and procedures are constantly and coherently applied in the area of responsibility (AoR).
- The needs of persons of concern in the AoR are assessed and analysed in a participating manner and using an Age, Gender and Diversity (AGD) perspective to form a firm basis for planning.
Responsibility (process and functions undertaken to achieve results)
- Monitor the situation in the AoR, collect data and other information relevant to UNHCR and report to the supervisor accordingly.
- Monitor the implementation of UNHCR programme including the delivery of all assistance items and monitoring of infrastructure.
- Undertake regular visits to various sites in order to assess needs of persons of concern, with particular attention to vulnerable groups.
- Keep regular contacts with local authorities and implementing partners as requested by supervisor.
- Act as interpreter when required.
- Contribute to the preparation of status and progress reports by providing info, preparing tables, etc.
- Assist in administrative tasks as required such as preparation of reports and meeting authorized personnel and assisting them during field missions.
- Inform and act on the reports received on persons of concern within the refugee community or from the local authorities.
- In coordination with implementing partners, assist in the reception, registration and provision of assistance to persons of concern to UNHCR.
- Undertake other relevant duties as required.
Authority (decisions made in executing responsibilities and to achieve results)
- Negotiate with local authority counterparts, partners and populations of concern.
- Represent UNHCR in physical monitoring of projects.
Qualifications and Professional Experience Required
· Thai nationality is preferable.
· Completion of the Secondary Education with post-secondary training/certificate in Business Administration, Law, Political Science or related field.
· Minimum 6 years of previous job experience relevant to the function.
· Computer skills.
· Excellent knowledge of English and working knowledge of another relevant UN language or local language.
· Completion of UNHCR learning programmes or specific training relevant to functions of the position.
· UNHCR field experience.
Please submit your P.11, Curriculum Vitae and Motivation Letter indicating the vacancy announcement number, position number and position title to: THABAHR@unhcr.org
Applications will not be acknowledged. Only the successful candidate will be notified of the outcome of the selection process.
Please note that the short-listed candidates are required to attend both written test and interview.
Download job description here.