Durable Solutions Associate (VA.NO.31/2018)
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Representation in Thailand
Vacancy Announcement No. 31/2018
Durable Solutions Associate
Equivalent to GS-6
Date Issued of the Vacancy Announcement:
09 July 2018
Durable Solutions Officer
Closing Date of the Vacancy Announcement:
22 July 2018
Local Individual Contractor Agreement (UNOPS)
Availability of the Position As soon as possible
Scope of Assignment
- Interview, assess resettlement needs and process refugees identified for resettlement, following established criteria and procedures; undertake field missions when required.
- Comply with UNHCR’s procedural standards on resettlement, ensuring timely action on cases.
- Follow up on status of cases from submission to departure; ensure effective communication on the status and follow-up on refugees considered for resettlement; ensure that records on individual cases are kept up-to-date.
- Communicate with resettlement counterparts, NGOs, IOM, and the Royal Thai Government regarding individual cases to facilitate resettlement processing.
- Manage, maintain and update proGres and individual files.
- Coordinate travel and departure arrangements for refugees accepted for resettlement.
- Organize logistical support for governments undertaking resettlement missions.
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date records on individual cases; assist in the preparation of reports.
- Respond to inquiries from refugees and external partners relating to resettlement eligibility, volutnary return and individual case status, both orally and in writing.
- Provide counselling to refugees under resettlement consideration on processing requirements and individual case status update.
- Interview and counsel persons of concern (POC) who are interested in return to their country of origin/habitual residence, ensuring that they make an informed decision and that they are returning in safety and dignity.
- Draft referal forms for IOM's Assisted Voluntary Return and Reintegration (AVRR) programme, including details of the POC's flight from their country of origin and reasons for their voluntary return.
- Work closely with IOM to facilitate and follow-up on referrals for POCs who are being repatriated under IOM's AVRR programme.
- Systematically apply an Age, Gender and Diversity perspective in all aspects of the resettlement process; comply with UNHCR policy and guidelines on HIV/AIDS.
- Perform other duties as required.
Qualifications and Required Competencies
- Completion of secondary education with certificate/training in International Law, International Relations or related fields required. University degree in a related field would be an advantage.
- Minimum five years of job experience relevant to the functions.
- Fluency in spoken and written English with knowledge of another UN language would be an advantage.
- Proven drafting skills.
- Proven communication/interpersonal skills.
- Good research and analytical skills.
- Good organizational skills.
- Knowledge of UNHCR Resettlement policies and operational applications desirable.
- Knowledge of computer and use of various computer software packages (i.e. MS Word, Excel, Access).
- Ability to work in a culturally diversified team.
- Ability to work under time constraints and to handle stress.
Please submit your Motivation Letter, P.11 form, Curriculum Vitae and a copy of official ID card/national passport indicating the vacancy announcement number and position title to:
Candidates who are not Thai nationals are required to submit with their application evidence of their right to work in Thailand.
Only candidates under positive consideration will be contacted for a written test and/or interview.
UNHCR/P.11 and supplementary forms can be downloaded from: https://www.unhcr.or.th/sites/default/files/u11/P11_UNHCR.docm and