Senior Protection Assistant (VA.No. 28/2018)
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Representation in Thailand
Vacancy Announcement No. 28/2018
Senior Protection Assistant
Equivalent to GS-5
Date Issued of the Vacancy Announcement:
05 June 2018
Closing Date of the Vacancy Announcement:
13 June 2018
Local Individual Contractor Agreement (UNOPS)
Availability of the Position As soon as possible
Scope of Assignment
Accountability (key results that will be achieved)
- Populations of concern will be protected through the application of relevant international and national laws and UN/UNHCR protection standards and principles.
- Protection activities will be guided by the UNHCR country protection strategy.
- The participation of persons of concern will be facilitated through supporting participatory and other rights- and community-based approaches.
- All protection activities with asylum seekers and refugees will be conducted in accordance with the Age, Gender, Diversity Mainstreaming (AGDM).
- Protection incidents will be identified and addressed.
Responsibility (process and functions undertaken to achieve results)
- Consistently apply relevant international and national laws and applicable UN/UNHCR policies, standards, and codes of conduct.
- Comply with Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for all protection/solutions activities.
- Ensure that detained asylum-seekers and refugees in IDC have opportunity to identify themselves in front of UNHCR so that their detention is recorded.
- Identity new applications for asylum from the detained population and share with the office without delay.
- Provide accurate and timely counseling to asylum seekers and refugees in IDC regarding protection and security issues, the RSD process, health concerns, and documentation.
- Identify especially vulnerable asylum seekers and refugees in IDC, such as children, woman at risk, SGBV survivors, elderly, and individuals with serious medical conditions, for protection interventions and service referrals.
- Prepare on a regular basis the statistics of asylum-seekers and refugees in IDC, and update such information in UNHCR’s ProGres database.
- In coordination with the Immigration authorities, prepare monthly lists of refugees and asylum-seekers on bail and monitor bail extension procedures and compliance.
- Monitor and engage with airport detention facilities upon identification of potential asylum-seekers.
- Provide Protection counseling to asylum-seekers and refugees detained in IDC or airport facilities, at the Bangkok Refugee Center (BRC) or elsewhere. Refer cases to the supervisor/relevant entities should they require further action.
- Monitor detention conditions for asylum-seekers and refugees and notify the supervisor of concerns.
- Coordinate and keep abreast of communication/situations with IDC authorities and concerned organizations to ensure that UNHCR persons of concern receive a proper response in due course.
- In coordination with Protection Officer, advocate for release of asylum seekers and refugees with serious vulnerabilities.
- Monitor and report to the office any refoulement attempts in detention.
- Assist in the Resettlement counseling process and with relevant Immigration processes required prior to departures.
- Coordinate with the Immigration authorities, the International Organization for Migration (IOM), and embassies to ensure the timely accomplishment of resettlement/departure documentation.
- In collaboration with Protection Associate, train Protection Interns to function Protection tasks as assigned.
- Carry out case management for especially vulnerable asylum seekers and refugees to ensure appropriate and timely services, referrals and counseling on options.
- Perform legal research on national and international laws as assigned by the Protection Officer.
- Perform other Protection duties as assigned.
Authority (decisions made in executing responsibilities and to achieve results)
- Prepare the list of persons of concern who are eligible for cash-based intervention on a monthly basis.
- Preliminarily interview/counsel persons of concern who are in need of protection for further referral on priority/urgent basis.
- Enforce integrity in the delivery of protection services by local implementing partners.
Qualifications and Required Competencies
- University degree in Law, International Law, Political Sciences or related field.
- Minimum 2 years experience with refugees and/or in related field.
- Understanding of survivor based approach to Sexual and Gender Based Violence (SGBV) and child protection issues, including previous interviewing experience would be an advantage.
- Knowledge of computer and use of various computer software packages, i.e. MS Word, Excel and Access.
- Good knowledge of written and spoken English and Thai.
- Knowledge of ProGres and completion of UNHCR specific learning/training activities would be advantage.
Please submit your Motivation Letter, P.11 form, Curriculum Vitae and a copy of official ID card/national passport indicating the vacancy announcement number and position title to:
Candidates who are not Thai nationals are required to submit with their application evidence of their right to work in Thailand.
Only candidates under positive consideration will be contacted for a written test and/or interview.
UNHCR/P.11 and supplementary forms can be downloaded from: https://www.unhcr.or.th/sites/default/files/u11/P11_UNHCR.docm and