Associate Operations Data Management Officer (VA.No. 08/2018)
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Representation in Thailand
Vacancy Announcement No. 08/2018
Associate Operations Data Management Officer
National Officer (NO) - B
Date Issued of the Vacancy Announcement:
26 January 2018
Refugee Status Determination (RSD) Officer
Closing Date of the Vacancy Announcement:
11 February 2018
Availability of the Post 01 May 2018
The Associate Operations Data Management Officer is responsible for the management of data collection and reporting activities in field operations. The incumbent liaises with relevant Officers in the regional hubs or sections in headquarters, as applicable, for technical guidance on data management. He/She normally supervises some support staff.
Accountability (key results that will be achieved)
· UNHCR has reliable and up-to-date data on persons of concern.
· UNHCR registration and ProGres database are maintained with high quality so that it will be used for the operational planning, advocacy, and producing relevant reports and statistics.
Responsibility (process and functions undertaken to achieve results)
· Manage the use, maintenance and technical support of databases used in the operation (registration, voluntary repatriation, resettlement, etc.) including planning and overseeing data collection, input and verifications; production of standard and ad hoc reports.
· Analyze and respond to report requests from UNHCR staff, local governments, partners, donors and Headquarters.
· Facilitate and /or undertake additional data collection activities including planning and coordinating data collection methodologies and analysis with relevant staff of other offices in the country, Regional Hub and/or Headquarters, as applicable.
· Be responsible for the registration (“ProGres”) database, oversee data input and reporting in close collaboration with other officers (protection, registration, community services, etc.).
· Assist in training of UNHCR staff as well as staff members of implementing partners in relevant aspects of data management.
· Liaise with Headquarters on new reporting requirements and procedures as needed; conduct data collection audits in order to ensure that no unnecessary data collection is occurring and to ensure that all necessary data is being captured; assist in development of new data collection and data analysis tools, including efficient data capturing forms; and create and maintain databases and spreadsheets that meet operational requirements.
· May be required to coordinate with
· Archive and backup database systems; ensure security of databases; perform database administrator functions.
· Assist in compiling and calculating statistics for resettlement, population figures, indicators, and other standard, annual, periodic and special statistical reports.
· Assist all units in creation, design and maintenance of database and spreadsheets that meet operational requirements.
· Perform other related duties as required.
Authority (decisions made in executing responsibilities and to achieve results)
· Authorize updates and amendments of ProGres data and the ProGres SOP.
· Design operational reports, statistics, and other relevant data collection forms.
ESSENTIAL MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
· Thai national only.
· Undergraduate degree (equivalent of a BA/BS) in Statistics, Economics, IT or related fields plus minimum 3 years of previous work experience relevant to the function or in data management, statistics, analysis and information technology. Graduate degree (equivalent of a Master’s) plus 2 years or Doctorate degree (equivalent of a PhD) plus 1 year of previous relevant work experience may also be accepted.
· Excellent knowledge of English and working knowledge of another UN language.
· Very good knowledge of local language and local institutions is essential.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES:
· Familiarity with ProGres and registration system.
· Completion of UNHCR learning programmes or specific training relevant to functions of the position.
· Knowledge of another relevant UN or local languages.
Please submit your P.11 form, Curriculum Vitae and Motivation Letter indicating the vacancy announcement number and position title to: THABAHR@unhcr.org
We request that all candidates submit along with their application package a copy of official ID card/national passport and copies of transcript and/or university degree.
Please note that the short-listed candidates are required to attend both written test and interview.
UNHCR/P.11 and supplementary forms can be downloaded from: https://www.unhcr.or.th/sites/default/files/u11/P11_UNHCR.docm and