Associate Programme Officer (VA.No. 07/2018)
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Representation in Thailand
Vacancy Announcement No. 07/2018
Associate Programme Officer
National Officer (NO) - B
Date Issued of the Vacancy Announcement:
29 January 2018
Closing Date of the Vacancy Announcement:
11 February 2018
Availability of the Post 01 May 2018
The incumbent receives guidance from more senior programme staff in the operation, the Deputy Representative or the Representative. The incumbent may supervise some support staff. He/she may receive indirect guidance from other sections and units relevant to the country programme(s). UNHCR Manual, programme objectives, Operations Plans, UN and UNHCR financial/budgetary rules and regulations will guide the work of the Associate Programme Officer. S/he is also expected to stay abreast of the challenges posed to the region by the political context, the UN and humanitarian reform and institutional developments.
External contacts are predominantly with persons on subject matters of importance to Organization's programme (e.g. counterparts in other organizations or at working level in national Governments).
Accountability (key results that will be achieved)
· The needs of persons of concern in the country are assessed and analysed in a participatory manner and using an Age, Gender and Diversity (AGD) perspective to form a firm basis for planning.
· IP agreements are established in a timely manner, regularly monitored and reported on in compliance with established guidelines and procedures.
Responsibility (process and functions undertaken to achieve results)
· Through a consultative process within the country and field visits, stay involved in the development of the strategies, methodologies, contingency plans that respond to new and emerging operational challenges for the country.
· Assist in ensuring that global strategic priorities (GSP) and regional priorities as well as information on projected resource availability guide the planning parameters.
· Provide inputs for developing the country operations plan in compliance with global strategic priorities and regional priorities as well as with annual programming/planning instructions.
· Assist in organizing a consultative process to ensure a consistent application of the organization’s criteria and policies for the selection of implementing and operational partners.
· Assist in managing the development of a broad network of partners, good coordination practices and the development of partner capacities.
· Assist in training UNHCR as well as implementing partners (IP) staff in UNHCR standard procedures related to the Results Based Programme management.
· Undertake proper collection, monitoring and use of baselines, standards and indicators needed to measure and analyze UNHCR’s performance, trends and target interventions.
· Undertake field visits to evaluate and improve the planning, programming, implementation and monitoring of assistance projects.
· Assist in implementing the establishment of sound monitoring processes, in reviewing final reports and on progress in order to advise on any corrective actions required or the need for additional resources to reach planned target levels.
· Apply UNHCR’s corporate tools (e.g. Global Focus, Focus Client) to record data and assess the technical soundness of the operation and generate data for evidence-based decisions at the country-level.
· Assist in keeping donor representatives briefed on developments and assist in the development of funding submissions, appeals and reports.
· Assist in monitoring compliance to the organization’s resource allocation framework, providing support and taking corrective action where required.
· Assist in ensuring compliance in issuance of audit certificates for Implementing Partners.
· Monitor the implementation of IP Risk Management techniques and tools.
· Perform other duties as required.
Authority (decisions made in executing responsibilities and to achieve results)
· Provide inputs for the country operations plan (including budgets, staffing levels and structures) as well as prepare inputs for funding submissions, appeals and reports.
· Represent UNHCR in UN and other fora on programme and technical issues as delegated by programme senior management.
· Enforce compliance with UNHCR’s global strategies, protocols and guidelines.
ESSENTIAL MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
· Thai national only.
· Undergraduate degree (equivalent of a BA/BS) in Business Administration, Law, Economics, Social Science or related field plus minimum 3 years of previous job experience relevant to the function. Graduate degree (equivalent of a Master’s) plus 2 years or Doctorate degree (equivalent of a PhD) plus 1 year of previous relevant work experience may also be accepted.
· Excellent knowledge of English and working knowledge of another UN language.
· Very good knowledge of local language and local institutions is essential.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES:
· Completion of the UNHCR Learning programmes or specific training relevant to functions of the position
· Good knowledge of UNHCR financial rules, procedures and processes
· Knowledge of another relevant UN language
· Knowledge of UNHCR specific programmes (MSRP, Focus, etc.)
· Computer skills (in MS office)
Please submit your P.11 form, Curriculum Vitae and Motivation Letter indicating the vacancy announcement number and position title to: THABAHR@unhcr.org
We request that all candidates submit along with their application package a copy of official ID card/national passport and copies of transcript and/or university degree.
Please note that the short-listed candidates are required to attend both written test and interview.
UNHCR/P.11 and supplementary forms can be downloaded from: https://www.unhcr.or.th/sites/default/files/u11/P11_UNHCR.docm and