Senior Programme Assistant (VA.NO.04/2020)
UNITED NATIONS HIGH COMMISSIONER FOR REFUGEES (UNHCR)
Vacancy Notice No. 04/2020
***Kindly note that this is a re-advertisement. Candidates who already applied to the previous advertisement do not need to reapply.
Title of Post
Senior Programme Assistant
General Service, G5
Type of contract
Temporary Appointment (TA)
Date of Issue
3 February 2020
Effective date of assignment
As soon as possible
(Initial Duration of 6 months extendable)
6 February 2020
The Senior Programme Assistant receives guidance from more senior programme staff in the operation. The incumbent may receive indirect guidance from other sections and units relevant to the multi country/region programme(s). UNHCR Manual, Operations Plans, UN and UNHCR financial/budgetary rules and regulations will guide the work of the Senior Program Assistant. S/he is expected to stay abreast of the challenges posed to the region by the operational context, the UN and humanitarian reform and institutional developments.
The incumbent is expected to have contacts within the organization and outside the duty station, as well as with partners and other stakeholders to collect information, monitor programme activities and implement administrative requirements. The incumbent is expected to work in line with the multi-functional team (MFT) approach as defined within the Program Manual, ensuring the participation of relevant stakeholders in all phases of the Program Management Cycle.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR’s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Provide administrative assistance and support in routine services and activities within Programme thus better able to meet the needs of persons of concern.
- Assist in organizing and documenting the selection of partners in accordance with the policy on selection and retention of partners, ensuring due diligence to meet the requirements of projects.
- Provide support to ensure partnership agreements are established in a timely manner, regularly monitored and reported on, in compliance with established guidelines and procedures included in the framework for implementing with partners.
- Guided by the MFT approach, support the development and implementation of monitoring plans for activities implemented through partnerships and those under direct implementation in line with Programme Manual and programming instructions.
- Contribute to the review and analysis of operations plans, mid-year and year-end reports, ensuring quality assurance and compliance with established policies, guidelines, procedures and standards. Generate and maintain records of implementation rate (performance progress and expenditures) on a regular basis.
- Assist in ensuring compliance with issuance of audit certificates for partners in line with the Policy on Risk-Based Project Audits.
- Use UNHCR’s corporate tools (e.g. Focus Client, Global Focus Insight and FOCUS Reader, MSRP) for core activities related to planning, budgeting, implementation and reporting, generating data for evidence-based programmatic decisions and analysis.
- Actively contribute to UNHCRs programming of community of practice and continuously contributing to improvements of programming tools and processes.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Years of Experience/Degree Level/Language Requirement:
- 4 years relevant experience with High school diploma plus Advanced Training/Certificate OR 2 years of relevant experience with Bachelor’s degree
- Fluency in English and Thai
Relevant Job Experience:
Demonstrated experience in Programme Management, Operation Management Cycle and related processes. Knowledge of Results Based-Management. Computer skills (in MS office) including advanced Excel skills (pivot tables, data management, etc)
Completion of UNHCR Learning Programmes or specific training relevant to function of the position including Programme Management – Level 1. E-tutoring of PM1, Framework for Implementing with Partners Learning Programme. Experience in programme management training and capacity building activities.
PG-Programme Management (project formulation, programme cycles and reporting standards)
All jobs at UNHCR require six core competencies and may also require managerial competencies and/or cross-functional competencies. The six core competencies are listed below.
- Organizational Awareness
- Teamwork & Collaboration
- Commitment to Continuous Learning
- Client & Result Orientation
- Empowering and Building Trust
- Analytical Thinking
- Planning and Organizing
- Stakeholder Management
Eligibility / Internal candidates:
Interested staff members should consult the Policy and Procedures on Assignments of Locally recruited Staff (IOM/49-FOM/50/2012 dated 15 June 2012). If you have questions regarding your eligibility, you may also contact the HR Unit.
Only applicants who have internal status are eligible to apply to vacancies that have been advertised internally. An applicant who has internal status is a staff member holding an indefinite or fixed-term appointment in any duty station in the country.
Former UNHCR General Service staff members, having held an indefinite or fixed-term appointment for an uninterrupted period of at least one year may apply for internally advertised vacancies at their previous grade or equivalent or one grade above, if the seniority requirements are met, for a period of two years following separation.
A competitive compensation and benefits package is offered. For information on UN salaries, allowances and benefits, please visit the portal of the International Civil Service Commission at: http://icsc.un.org
Submission of Applications:
If you wish to be considered for this vacancy, please submit your letter of motivation and duly signed P.11 by e-mail clearly stating the position title, vacancy notice number and your Last Name in the subject line to: THABAHR@unhcr.org by the closing date.
The Personal History Form and its supplementary sheet can be downloaded from: https://www.unhcr.or.th/sites/default/files/u11/P11_UNHCR.docm and
No late applications will be accepted. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Shortlisted candidates may be required to sit for a written test and/or oral interview. UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, processing or any other fees).
UNHCR strongly encourages qualified female applicants for this position. UNHCR seeks to ensure that male and female employees are given equal career opportunities. UNHCR is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality.
Refugees – who cares? We Do