Senior Protection Information Assistant (VA.NO.36/2019)
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Representation in Thailand
Vacancy Announcement No. 36 /2019
Senior Protection Information Assistant
Equivalent to GS-5
Date Issued of the Vacancy Announcement:
12 December 2019
Associate RSD Officer
Closing Date of the Vacancy Announcement:
19 December 2019
Availability of the posts: 1 January 2020 – 30 June 2020 (6 months)
Background Information/Organization Context:
Thailand is not a signatory to the 1951 Convention/1967 Protocol relating to the Status of Refugees and currently there is no domestic legislation relating to asylum and protection of refugees. In a critical development, in 2017, the Royal Thai Government (RTG) formalized its commitment to creating a regulatory framework for addressing refugee status and protection issues and is currently working towards realization of that goal. To prepare for the RTG’s upcoming enactment and implementation of a regulatory framework and national mechanism, UNHCR Thailand is focusing on working with the RTG with regards to capacity building measures. To that end UNHCR Thailand will be working with UNHCR Innovation Service at HQ to develop a more streamlined method of making Thai language documents readily available. To that end, the Senior Protection Information Assistant will be tasked primarily with translating documents and creating a repository of keywords in Thai and English to improve and maintain the accuracy of the translation systems. The Senior Protection Information Assistant may also be tasked with other tasks to support Protection Units as needed.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Senior Protection Information Assistant will be part of the Refugee Status Determination Unit, and report to the Associate RSD Officer under the overall supervision of the RSD Officer.
Primary scope of assignment:
- Translate keywords related to refugee law, and country of origin information from English into Thai and vice versa, update and maintain the vocabulary repository and translation system as needed;
- Translate documents related to policies, guidance, and procedures of UNHCR as well as other working documents from English into Thai and vice versa;
- Conduct legal and country of origin information research in Thai and English, and create and maintain a COI repository as needed;
- Draft reports in Thai and English as assigned by supervisors;
- Perform any other tasks as assigned by supervisor, including generally supporting Protection Units as needed in carrying out functions.
Minimum qualification required:
- University Degree (Law, Political Science, International Human Rights Law and/or a related field).
- Sound knowledge of refugee law, international human rights and humanitarian laws are desirable.
- Previous experience in humanitarian work and/or translation is desirable.
- Proficient in basic computer software and internet applications.
- Excellent knowledge of both English and Thai (reading and writing).
Please submit your Motivation Letter, P.11 form, Curriculum Vitae and a copy of official ID card/national passport indicating the vacancy announcement number and position title to:
Only candidates under positive consideration will be contacted for a written test and/or interview.
UNHCR/P.11 and supplementary forms can be downloaded from: https://www.unhcr.or.th/sites/default/files/u11/P11_UNHCR.docm and