Field Assistant (VA.NO.33/2019)
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Representation in Thailand
Vacancy Announcement No. 33/2019
Equivalent to GS-4
Date Issued of the Vacancy Announcement:
22 October 2019
Assistant Durable Solutions Officer
Closing Date of the Vacancy Announcement:
05 November 2019
Mae Sot, Thailand
Local Individual Contractor Agreement (UNOPS)
Availability of the Position As soon as possible
The Thailand operation along the border with Myanmar has reached a critical juncture wherein the realizartion of durable soluions for some refugees has shifted beyond resettlement towards multi-solutions strategy. Field Offices are engaged in a range of activities to consult with different stakeholders including RTG, NGOs, CBOs and most importantly refugee communities to ensure that their voices are central to decision-making about their lives. At the same time, UNHCR's core protection activities in the camps continue in parallel to these efforts. Protection priorities include enhancing child protection, ensuring access to justice, preventing and addressing SGBV, and providing additional care and attention to the most vulnerable individuals within the refugee community.
Through integrated outreach approach, the incumbent will help identify, track and analyse key protection risks and trends to inform protection interventions and advocacy, to ensure persons with specific needs are routinely identified and their situations monitored and to collaborate with partners and refugees to strengthen the protection environment.
Scope of Assignment
- Support UNHCR’s consultative process with local government counterparts, partners and persons of concern for effective needs and risk assessment and planning, including for the preparation of the AOR´s protection and durable solutions strategy.
- Support the implementation, reporting and evaluation of the AOR´s protection and durable solutions strategy and the delivery of its operational components.
- Act as a camp focal point for the protection outreach, which includes supporting the planning and organizing protection outreach activities in the camps in close coordination with relevant sectors internally and NGO/CBO partners.
- Facilitate and monitor UNHCR’s responses in addressing protection concerns arising in the camps.
- Maintain protection presence and promote confidence building through regular field visits to the three Temporary Shelters in Tak Province and reports, making direct contact with persons of concern, host communities, local authorities and partners.
- Support in facilitating the identification of durable solution needs through monitoring, analysis and contact with populations of concern.
- Facilitate effective systematization and management of data to enhance monitoring, response and evaluation mechanisms.
- Interview candidates for voluntary repatriation to ensure well-informed decision and prepare documentation for their return.
- Prepare statistical and ad-hoc reports to ensure accurate information is available and shared with relevant offices and partners.
- Perform other relevant duties as required.
Monitoring and Progress Controls
- Efficiency in providing information and counseling to potential applicants wishing to return voluntarily and keeping the data up to date.
- Efficiency in following up with and referring cases to other units within UNHCR and
with external partners.
- Effective monitoring of the situation in the temporary shelters(camps) vis-à-vis the needs
and aspirations of the residents towards their durable solution.
Qualifications and Experiences
- Completion of secondary education is the minimum requirement. University courses or degree in a related field will be an added advantage.
- Minimum two years experiences with refugees, SGBV and/or in related field.
- Thai national is preferable.
- Knowledge of computer and use of various computer software packages, i.e. MS Word, Excel, Access.
- Knowledge of ProGres and completion of UNHCR specific learning/training activities would be advantage.
- Good knowledge of written and spoken English and Thai.
- Knowledge of Karen and Burmese is an asset.
- Analytical Thinking
- Planning and Organizing
- Negotiation and Conflict Resulotion
- Change Capability and Adaptability
- Innovation and Creativity
- Political Awareness
Please submit your Motivation Letter, P.11 form, Curriculum Vitae and a copy of official ID card/national passport indicating the vacancy announcement number and position title to:
Candidates who are not Thai nationals are required to submit with their application evidence of their right to work in Thailand.
Only candidates under positive consideration will be contacted for a written test and/or interview.
UNHCR/P.11 and supplementary forms can be downloaded from: https://www.unhcr.or.th/sites/default/files/u11/P11_UNHCR.docm and