Senior Field Assistant (Protection) (VA.No.13/2019)
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Representation in Thailand
Vacancy Announcement No. 13 /2019
Senior Field Assistant
Equivalent to GS-5
Date Issued of the Vacancy Announcement:
17 April 2019
Associate Protection Officer
Closing Date of the Vacancy Announcement:
01 May 2019
Local Individual Contractor Agreement (UNOPS)
Availability of the Position As soon as possible
Scope of Assignment
Duties and Responsibility
- Stay alert of political, social, economic and cultural developments in Thailand and Myanmar which may have an impact on the protection operating environment.
- Maintain protection presence and promote confidence building through regular field visits to Tham Hin and Ban Don Yang Temporary Shelters, engaging directly with persons of concern, refugee leadership, CBOs and NGO partners.
- Support the supervisor with the implementation of UNHCR’s protection and durable solutions strategy and the delivery of its operational components in close collaboration with local government counterparts, NGO partners and persons of concern.
- Assist the supervisor in liaising and communicating (including official correspondences) with local authorities at the provincial and district level on matters concerning UNHCR’s protection and durable solutions work.
- Provide counselling on legal protection issues to persons of concern; facilitate persons of concern’s access to Thai justice system; and liaise and advocate with competent authorities on individual legal and other protection cases.
- Participate in individual protection case management including cases of child protection, SGBV and persons with special needs (PSNs). Monitor and report on cases of arrest, detention, deportation, refoulement, and other protection incidents.
- Support participatory assessments and ongoing consultation with refugees.
- Monitor the implementation of UNHCR programme, including the delivery of all assistance items and monitoring of infrastructure, and collect data for monitoring of programmes from an AGD perspective.
- Perform any other relevant duties assigned or deemed necessary to the fulfilment of the above responsibilities and duties, as requested.
- Protection and assistance activities are guided by the UNHCR country protection and solutions strategy.
- Effective monitoring of the situation in the temporary shelters (camps) vis-à-vis the needs and aspirations of the residents towards their durable solution.
- Effective and timely support is provided to planning, organization, and coordination, and prioritization, implementation, monitoring and reporting.
- Protection incidents and gaps in assistance are immediately identified ad addressed.
- The level of relationship built with community-based organizations, partner organizations, and local authorities.
- Performance evaluation will be conducted by the direct supervisor at the end of the contract.
Qualifications and Required Competencies
- Completion of post-secondary school. Additional training courses in protection related issues.
- University degree in International Law, Political Science, International Relations or related field is an added value.
- Good computer skills.
- Knowledge of UNHCR software platform particularly proGres is an added value.
- Proficiency in English and Thai in both written and verbal communication is essential.
- Knowledge of local language(s) used in the Temporary Shelters is an added value.
- Previous Job Experience: 6 years
- Job experience relevant to the function: 4 years
Please submit your Motivation Letter, P.11 form, Curriculum Vitae and a copy of official ID card/national passport indicating the vacancy announcement number and position title to:
Candidates who are not Thai nationals are required to submit with their application evidence of their right to work in Thailand.
Only candidates under positive consideration will be contacted for a written test and/or interview.
UNHCR/P.11 and supplementary forms can be downloaded from: https://www.unhcr.or.th/sites/default/files/u11/P11_UNHCR.docm and