Associate Protection Officer (VA.NO. 01/2020/AWF/UNOPS)
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Regional Bureau for Asia and the Pacific, Bangkok, Thailand
Vacancy Announcement No. 01/2020/AWF/UNOPS
Associate Protection Officer
Date of the Vacancy Announcement:
23 July 2020
Closing Date of the Vacancy Announcement:
03 August 2020
Regional Mixed Movement Monitoring Unit
Individual Contractor Agreement (UNOPS)
Availability of the Position As soon as possible
Scope of Assignment
Under the supervision of the Protection Officer, the Associate Protection Officer is responsible for the following:
- Stay abreast of political, social, economic and cultural developments that have an impact on the protection environment.
- Promote International and National Law and applicable UN/UNHCR and IASC policy, standards and codes of conduct.
- Conduct research on movements of refugees and migrants in the region through field missions or desk reviews.
- Analyse quantitative and qualitative data collected through desk review and field missions, in collaboration with Information Management colleagues. A database will be maintained to manage the collected information.
- Draft reports, updates, and key messages on refugee movements and other issues of relevance as required.
- Develop Public Information (PI) material for awareness-raising and advocacy purposes, in collaboration with Communication and Protection colleagues.
- Contribute to promoting enhanced protection of refugees in mixed movements including on communication with communities, prevention and response to human trafficking, and identification and referral of persons with specific needs.
- Provide support to the Senior Protection Officer working on durable solutions to pursue complementary pathway opportunities in the Asia Pacific region.
- Conduct eligibility and status determination for persons of concern in compliance with UNHCR procedural standards and international protection principles.
- Assess resettlement needs and, when appropriate, recommend and facilitate the realisation of a solution through resettlement.
- Participate in initiatives to capacitate national authorities, relevant institutions and NGOs to strengthen national protection related legislation and procedures
- Perform other related duties as required.
Qualifications and Required Competencies
· Completion of University degree in law, international law, or political science.
· 3 years relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or 2 years relevant experience with Graduate degree; or 1 year relevant experience with Doctorate degree.
· Professional experience in the area of refugee protection, internal displacement, human rights or international humanitarian law. Good knowledge of International Refugee and Human Rights Law and ability to apply the relevant legal principles.
· At least one year of related professional experience with reugees or migrants, including international experience.
· Five years of related professional, international experience with refugees or migrants in Asia, including experience collecting and analyzing significant amounts of data through interviews and other methodologies is desirable.
· Excellent knowledge of English.
· Excellent research, analytical, and drafting skills
· Strong knowledge of UNHCR protection policies and interviewing skills
· Expertise in Microsoft Excel, including how to utilize spreadsheet formulas for data analysis is desirable
· Experience working with Rohingya persons of concern and counseling vulnerable persons of concern will be an asset
Please submit your Motivation Letter, P.11 form, Curriculum Vitae indicating the vacancy announcement number and position title to: email@example.com
Only candidates under positive consideration will be contacted for a written test and/or interview.
UNHCR/P.11 and supplementary forms can be downloaded from: https://www.unhcr.or.th/sites/default/files/u11/P11_UNHCR.docm and