Driver (in a replacement capacity) HCR/YGN/19/002
UNITED NATIONS HIGH COMMISSIONER FOR REFUGEES
OFFICE OF THE REPRESENTATIVE IN MYANMAR
Internal/External Vacancy Notice Number HCR/YGN/19/002
(OPEN TO NATIONAL APPLICANTS)
Post Title : Driver (in a replacement capacity)
Post Number 10027016
Contractual status : Fixed-Term Appointment
Post Level : GL-2
Start Date : As soon as possible
Post Duration : Initial one year, renewable annually
Duty Station : Bhamo, Kachin State
In Myanmar, UNHCR works to provide protection and humanitarian assistance to stateless persons, internally displaced persons, and refugee returnees. In particular in Kachin State and Northern Shan, UNHCR works in the area of protection, shelter, camp management and camp coordination, provision of non-food items, local capacity building, and, as and when needed, emergency response. It provides leadership in the Protection Working Group, and CCCM/Shelter/NFI Clusters as part of the interagency response efforts.
Internal displacement in Kachin and Northern Shan has been protracted since 2011 with IDPs mostly living in camps managed by local partners, mostly from the religious institutions. Around 107,000 IDPs are leaving in 170 camps and camp-like settings which are geographically located in both government-controlled area (GCA) and non-government controlled area (NGCA). In Northern Shan State, short-term but recurring nature of displacement has been observed which increases exposure of affected population into serious protection concerns.
In order to deliver its programme, UNHCR has established its presence with Field Office in Myitkyina, Field Unit in Bhamo, and another Field Unit in Lashio. Movements of staff are expected across these locations and within areas of responsibility.
2.Duties and responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Admin./Finance Assistant and overall supervision of the Associate Field Officer in Bhamo, the incumbent will perform the following duties:
- Assigned UNHCR vehicles are properly maintained and equipped as per technical guidance and specifications established by the Organisation.
- Local traffic rules and regulations are strictly observed.
- Instructions and security guidance provided by the supervisor and security focal point are strictly followed by the Driver and the passengers during the journey.
- Drive UNHCR vehicles for the transport of authorized passengers and delivery and collection of mail, documents, UNHCR pouch and other items.
- Meet official personnel at the airport and facilitate immigration and customs formalities as required.
- Perform day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicles; check oil, water, battery, brakes, tires, etc. and ensure that the assigned UNHCR vehicles are road worthy and maintained up to the established security standards.
- Perform minor repairs and arrange for other repairs and ensure that the vehicle is kept clean.
- Ensure that the steps required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in accident.
- Log official trips, daily mileage, gas consumption, oil changes, greasing, etc.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Drive the vehicle only when his/her safety or security is not at risk.
- Ask the passenger about the destination of the journey and route.
- Decline to drive passengers not authorized to be in a UNHCR vehicle.
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Adapts his/her actions to take account of the political, religious and cultural context;
- Dedication to United Nations principles and commitment to UNHCR visions and goals;
- Promotes team work and harmony collaborating with team members integrating others’ ideas into his/her thinking. Leverages the different experiences and expertise of members to achieve better, more innovative outcomes;
- Commitment to perform tasks in a responsible, timely and professional manner; detail- oriented and committed to achieve high-quality results; ability to work under time pressure and meet tight deadlines; ability to prioritize tasks and execute them accordingly;
Essential Minimum Required Qualifications and Professional Experience Education:
- Completion of Primary Education or equivalent technical or commercial school.
- Minimum two years of previous job experience relevant to the function.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Driving licence, knowledge of driving rules and regulations and skills in minor vehicle repair.
Language & Communication:
- Good knowledge of English and Myanmar; Knowledge of local dialect of the area would be an advantage.
Eligibility Requirements: For internal UNHCR candidates
(Only for Indefinite and FTA contract holders);
- Only staff members who have served for a minimum of one year in their present post will be eligible to apply for vacancies.
- For staff members applying for a higher post, minimum required seniority-in-grade should be complied.
- Former UNHCR GS staff members, having held an Indefinite or FTA appointment for an uninterrupted period of at least one year may apply for internally advertised vacancies at their previous grade or equivalent or one grade above, if the seniority requirements are met, for a period of two years following separation.
Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Please declare if you have any immediate relative currently working with any UN agencies.
UNHCR is an equal opportunity employer and regrets its inability to reply individually or attend to telephone queries on the advertised posts.
Applications should be addressed directly to: the Senior Administrative/Finance Officer, UNHCR Representation in Myanmar, 287 Pyay Road, Sanchaung Township, or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org not later than COB 25 January 2019, submitting the application together with complete duly filled UN-P11 form and referring clearly to the vacancy notice number as advertised.
Only short listed candidates will be individually notified and invited for a test and panel interview.