Associate External Relations Officer (VA. No. 14/2017)
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Representation in Thailand
Vacancy Announcement No. 14/2017
Associate External Relations Officer
Equivalent to P-2
Date Issued of the Vacancy Announcement:
14 March 2017
Representative in Thailand
Closing Date of the Vacancy Announcement:
27 March 2017
Office of the Representative
International Individual Contractor Agreement (UNOPS)
Availability of the Position 18 April 2017 – 31 December 2017 (with possible extension based on satisfactory performance and availability of fund)
Scope of Assignment
· Compile information, draft and edit written communications.
· Stay abreast of the challenges posed by the political context, the UN and humanitarian reform, and institutional developments in the area of forced displacement and humanitarian operations.
· Assist the implementation of a communications strategy that generates support for UNHCR’s operations from external partners (e.g. the general public, governments, partners, media, academia, NGOs, private sector and persons of concern).
· Assist in the dialogue with donors and embassies and provide relevant information on UNHCR operations and financial requirements by organizing regular briefings, bilateral meetings and missions and responding to donors’ requests for information on ad hoc basis.
· Coordinate, compile and edit periodic situation reports to be submitted to Headquarters.
· Assist the Office in sourcing, consolidating and analyzing data in order to facilitate the release of a large variety of documents such as Country Fact Sheets, Global Appeal Chapter, Mid-Year and Annual Narrative Reports, Donor Reports and Funding Proposals, Narrative Description of Thailand’s Country Operation Plan.
· Extract data from UNHCR software Global Focus Insight, prepare PowerPoint presentations and other publications.
· Assist in the public information and external relations activities of the Office.Propose events and initiatives (e.g. commercial, cultural, political and sports) to promote the work of UNHCR and take action as appropriate
· Prepare and distribute notes/minutes from meetings.
· Keep informed of developments which may have a political or operational impact on the Office’s activities.
· Keep track of evolving issues concerning statelessness, displaced persons and refugees to be able to suggest stories and topics for the media to cover.
· Assist in organizing the distribution of UNHCR publications and the provision of materials to various institutions and individuals to respond to the interest of the public in refugee issues.
· Organize missions to the field and press briefings for external parties as required.
· Support the management of media relations by, inter alia, responding to direct queries, publishing press releases, handling interview requests and organizing regular briefings and visits to country operations
· Perform other duties as required.
Qualificationsand Required Competencies
· Completion of secondary education and post-secondary courses in Political or Social Science, International Relations, Journalism or other related fields.
· At least two years’ previous job experience with relevant experience to the function and one year working in an international capacity.
· Excellent writing and communication skills.
· Computer literacy: advanced computer knowledge and experience in the use of other software packages will be an added advantage.
· Experience of working with social media.
· Fluency in English
Please submit your Motivation Letter, P.11 and Curriculum Vitae indicating the vacancy announcement number and position title to: THABAHR@unhcr.org
Applications will not be acknowledged. Only the successful candidate will be notified of the outcome of the selection process.
P.11 form can be downloaded from: http://unhcr.or.th/sites/default/files/p11.doc