Interpreters (VA.No. 07/2017)
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Representation in Thailand
Vacancy Announcement No. 07/2017
Date Issued of the Vacancy Announcement:
07 February 2017
Associate RSD Officer with daily activities coordinated by the Senior Protection Assistant
Closing Date of the Vacancy Announcement:
20 February 2017
Retainer Contract (UNOPS)
Duties and Responsibilities
1. To translate accurately and professionally, in a timely manner, documents in relation to Registration (REG), Refugee Status Determination (RSD), Resettlement (RST), Community Services (CP) and other Protection purposes for the UNHCR Representation in Thailand from the specific language assigned to the undersigned interpreter to English and vice versa.
2. To interpret during REG/RSD/RST/CP/Protection interviews/counselling sessions of asylum seekers/refugees. When requested and with prior approval from the RSD Officer, to carry out interpretation for other UNHCR Offices/staff members and/or delegations of resettlement countries in Bangkok.
3. To interpret in the context of various Protection information sessions, briefings, training and related sessions including on best interest determination, etc.
4. When instructed by the immediate Supervisor, to interpret telephone inquiries made by asylum-seekers/refugees/phone callers in the language assigned to the undersigned interpreters.
5. To report to the Supervisor on each call received for recording in the database, Progres, and further action by other responsible staff.
6. To perform other interpretation and translation functions as requested by the supervisors.
· Completion of secondary education at a minimum, but completion of university studies preferred.
· Completion of interpreter training courses preferred.
· Prior experience in interpretation/translation is desirable.
· Proven skills in communicating proficiently from the assigned language to English and vice versa. This means accurate listening, speaking, reading and writing, reporting in both languages in a verbatim and efficient manner.
· Demonstrates and upholds professional conduct and ethics in the course of performing interpretation and translation services.
· Knowledge of computer applications, Microsoft Office package (Word and Excel).
· Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment and respect diversity.
Please submit your P.11, resume and application letter, indicating vacancy announcement number and position title to: THABAHR@unhcr.org. For non-Thai applicant, a copy of passport is also required to submit along with your application package.
Application will not be acknowledged. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted and the successful candidate will be notified of an outcome of the selection.
The position is a part-time one and applicants must be available for at least two (2) full days work, Monday-Friday.
P.11 form can be downloaded from: http://unhcr.or.th/sites/default/files/p11.doc
UNHCR promotes diversity and equal opportunities. All well-qualified candidates, including female candidates and individuals of diverse cultural backgrounds are encouraged to apply.