Protection Assistant (VA. No.05/2017)
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Representation in Thailand
Vacancy Announcement No. 05/2017
Equivalent to GS-4
Date Issued of the Vacancy Announcement:
02 February 2017
Associate Protection Officer
Closing Date of the Vacancy Announcement:
17 February 2017
Local Individual Contractor Agreement (UNOPS)
Availability of the Post As soon as possible
Under the direct supervision of the Associate Protection Officer and in close collaboration with the Protection Associate and the Community Services Associate, the incumbent will:
1. Develop, manage and implement Sexual and Gender-Based Violence (SGBV) prevention, response and referral systems through, inter alia, regular SGBV awareness raising, sensitization, advocacy and training activities with community SGBV focal persons, community leaders and governmental and non-governmental service providers.
2. Develop, manage and implement activities and advocacy to strengthen and ensure protection of asylum seeker and refugee children, especially unaccompanied/separated children and children/families in detention, in cooperation with the concerned authorities, NGOs and refugee communities.
3. Act as SGBV and Child Protection Focal Person within the Office including, inter alia, undertaking individual/family/group protection response/referral activities and interventions in close cooperation with the urban protection, RSD and solutions units.
4. Develop, improve and coordinate livelihood projects for POCs in cooperation with NGOs and refugee communities.
5. Report monthly on developments and statistics concerning SGBV and Child Protection with an analysis of the context and mechanisms to enhance effective protection/solutions, as well as support overall internal and external reporting.
6. Perform other duties as required.
Qualifications and Experiences Requirements
· University degree in social work, sociology, political science, human rights, law or other related fields.
· Prior experience (ideally in the Thai/South East Asia context) in addressing issues of overall social/legal protection, SGBV, Child Protection, human rights, legal and related activities/functions.
· Keen interest and experiences in designing and implementing SGBV, Child Protection and/or Livelihoods programmes and activities, especially utilizing community-based approaches.
· Fluency in English (written and spoken). Working knowledge of Thai language would be an asset.
· Strong inter-personal, drafting, training, negotiation skills as well as flexibility and ability to work in a multi-cultural environment are essential.
· Completion of UNHCR specific learning/training activities would be an asset.
Please submit your Motivation Letter, P.11 and Curriculum Vitae indicating the vacancy announcement number and position title to: THABAHR@unhcr.org
Applications will not be acknowledged. Only the successful candidate will be notified of the outcome of the selection process.
P.11 form can be down loaded from: http://unhcr.or.th/sites/default/files/p11.doc