Interpreter/Outreach Support (Jarai/Ede) VA. No.04/2017
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Representation in Thailand
Vacancy Announcement No. 04/2017
Interpreter/Outreach Support (Jarai/Ede)
Equivalent to GS-3
Date Issued of the Vacancy Announcement:
26 January 2016
Senior Protection Assistant
Closing Date of the Vacancy Announcement:
08 February 2017
Local Individual Contractor Agreement (UNOPS)
Availability of the Position 01 March 2017 – 31 August 2017 (6 months)
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Provide accurate, timely and professional interpretation, from Jarai and/or Ede languages to English, to UNHCR staff and/or official Government counterparts and Implementing Partners, as needed, in the course of protection-related interviews, and in particular Registration interviews, RSD First Instance and Appeal interviews, UNHCR RST interviews and resettlement country (mission) interviews, and Protection interviews and interventions.
2. Translate documents accurately and in a timely manner from Jarai and/or Ede languages to English and vice versa.
3. Under the supervision of and with the guidance from UNHCR Protection staff, to relay general information and provide counselling in Jarai and/or Ede languages to individuals/groups as needed.
4. Assist with the daily incoming filing of documents received from Persons of Concern to UNHCR (POCs) to the Reception area.
5. Assist with the development and production of audio-visual aids in the Jarai and/or Ede languages to explain certain processes and procedures to POCs, taking into consideration low literacy levels of Jarai/Ede speaking POC.
6. Create a Jarai/Ede glossary of terms and vocabulary commonly used in the RSD process.
7. Conduct research on current and recent issues related to Vietnam and in particular Montagnards in coordination with Protection and/or RSD staff members, with a focus on media, organizations and other sources that may publish in non-English language.
8. Carry out case mapping of Jarai/Ede language caseloads in relation to area of origin, clusters/family links, claim typology, etc, with guidance and supervision from more senior RSD and Protection staff.
9. Provide interpretation and translation services to UNHCR Implementing Partners for services such as psychological counselling and assessment, medical appointments and assessments, CBI interviews, Best Interest Assessments for minor POCs, and emergency protection intervention.
10. Carry out other duties as required by the Office.
Qualificationsand Required Competencies
· Completion of Secondary education, completion of or ongoing university studies a plus.
· Completion of Interpreter training course a plus.
· Academic background in international protection or Human Rights a plus.
· Previous experience, whether formal or informal in interpretation and translation, preferred
· Fluency in Jarai language, preferable if also proficient in Ede language
· Fluency in Vietnamese, both written and spoken, preferred
· Fluency in English, both written and spoken
· Knowledge of computer applications, Microsoft Office package (Word and Excel)
· Good writing and communication skills
· Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment and respect diversity
· Knowledge and/or previous experience of refugee context in Thailand is an asset.
Please submit your Motivation Letter, P.11 form, Curriculum Vitae and a copy of official ID card/national passport indicating the vacancy announcement number and position title to:
Only candidates under positive consideration will be contacted for a written test and/or interview.
P.11 form can be downloaded from: http://unhcr.or.th/sites/default/files/p11.doc