Interpreters - Karen and Burmese (4 Positions) (VA.No.12/2019)
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Representation in Thailand
Vacancy Announcement No. 12/2019
Interpreters (4 Positions)
Date Issued of the Vacancy Announcement:
17 April 2019
Associate Protection Officer
Closing Date of the Vacancy Announcement:
01 May 2019
Kanchanaburi Province , Thailand
UNOPS Retainer Contract
Availability of the Position As soon as possible
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide interpretation and translation for staff members as needed.
- Assist staff members in coordination with the refugee leadership and camp-based organizations (CBOs) on UNHCR activities and individual protection cases.
- Assist staff members in organizing and conducting various outreach activities for refugees, such as focus group discussions and information dissemination particularly in relation to future solutions
- Assist staff members in organizing and conducting awareness raising and capacity building activities on core UNHCR issues including child protection and SGBV.
- Provide interpretation for individual protection cases including legal proceedings under the Thai justice system.
- Assist staff members in conducting interviews or assessments with individual refugees for protection or durable solutions purposes.
- Assist the Ministry of Interior district registration teams with regular registration updates and birth registration in the camp.
- Translate reports, letters, meeting minutes, outreach materials and other documents.
- Perform other interpretation and translation functions, as requested by the supervisor.
Monitoring and Progress Controls:
- Quality of interpretation and translation will be regularly assessed by the direct supervisor and other staff members.
- The length of time required for translating specific documents will vary depending on the number, type, content and difficulty thereof.
- Performance evaluation will be conducted by the direct supervisor at the end of the contract.
Qualifications and Required Competencies
- Completion of post-secondary school.
- Post-secondary training/certificate in Business administration, Secretarial Work, Translation or related field.
- Additional training courses in protection related issues is an added value.
- Proficiency in Karen language in both written and verbal communication is essential.
- Proficiency in either English or Thai in both written and verbal communication is essential.
- Knowledge of other local language(s) such as Burmese used in the Temporary Shelters is an added value.
- Previous job experience: 3 years
- Job experience relevant to the function: 3 years
Please submit your Motivation Letter, P.11 form, Curriculum Vitae and a copy of official ID card/national passport indicating the vacancy announcement number and position title to:
Candidates who are not Thai nationals are required to submit with their application evidence of their right to work in Thailand.
Only candidates under positive consideration will be contacted for a written test and/or interview.
UNHCR/P.11 and supplementary forms can be downloaded from: https://www.unhcr.or.th/sites/default/files/u11/P11_UNHCR.docm and