Community Services Assistant (VA.NO.01/2019)
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Representation in Thailand
Vacancy Announcement No. 01/2019
Community Services Assistant
Equivalent to GS-4
Date Issued of the Vacancy Announcement:
16 January 2019
Associate Protection Officer (JPO)
Closing Date of the Vacancy Announcement:
27 January 2019
Mae Hong Son, Thailand
Local Individual Contractor Agreement (UNOPS)
Availability of the Position As soon as possible
Scope of Assignment
Accountability (key results that will be achieved)
- Support is provided to establishing commnunity activities which address the social, cultural, and livelihood needs of populations of concern.
- Support and advice is provided to involve the host community in the protection of persons of concern.
- The Age, Gender and Diversity (AGD) approach is applied in all aspects of his/her protection and solutions work on behalf of persons of concern.
- Ensure that communities of concern are fully aware and confident with the options/durable solutions open to them, so as to make fully informed decisions
Responsibility (process and functions undertaken to achieve results)
- Assist in working with host communities to involve national civil society groups and community -based organizations in improving the protection of persons of concern.
- Support implementing and operational partners as well as displaced and local communities to develop community-owned activities to address, where applicable, the social, educational, psycho-social, cultural, health, organisational and livelihood concerns as well as child protection (including conducting Best Interest work when necessary) and prevention and response to SGBV.
- Design, provide support training initiatives of relevant actors in communities where relevant.
- Assist in analysing protection risks and capacities of communities of concern.
- Support participatory assessments and ongoing consultation with persons of concern.
- Collect data for monitoring of programmes and budgets from an AGD perspective.
- Accompany, and interpret for, senior management in their contacts with local interlocutors.
- Suport efforts and relevant colleagues in advocacy with the local authorities to access local services where necessary.
- Draft and type routine correspondence, documents and reports using word processing equipment and maintain up-to-date filing systems.
- Act as outreach focal points in designated camps to receive and to dissiminate information on solutions in a culturally-appropriate way.
Authority (decisions made in executing responsibilities and to achieve results)
- Assist participatory AGD sensitive analysis as an essential basis for UNHCR's work.
- Identify which individuals or groups to prioritize for counselling and field visits based on agreed criteria.
- Enter data in proGres and other databases as required for voluntary repatriation, resettlment and other durable solutions.
Qualifications and Required Competencies
- Completion of secondary education is the minimum requirement. University courses or
degree in a related field will be an added advantage.
- Minimum three (3) years experience with refugees and or in related field.
- Computer skills (MS office, including Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Access).
- Fluent in English and working knowledge of another relevant UN language or local language.
- Knowledge of Administrative/financial rules, procedures, process in the context of UNHCR field offices and field operations.
- Knowledge of ProGres and completion of UNHCR specific learning/training activities would be advantage.
- Working Knowledge of Karen and Burmese will be an asset.
Please submit your Motivation Letter, P.11 form, Curriculum Vitae and a copy of official ID card/national passport indicating the vacancy announcement number and position title to:
Candidates who are not Thai nationals are required to submit with their application evidence of their right to work in Thailand.
Only candidates under positive consideration will be contacted for a written test and/or interview.
UNHCR/P.11 and supplementary forms can be downloaded from: https://www.unhcr.or.th/sites/default/files/u11/P11_UNHCR.docm and