Community Services Assistant (VA.No.29/2017)
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Representation in Thailand
Vacancy Announcement No. 29/2017
Community Services Assistant
Equivalent to GS-4
18 July 2017
Closing Date of the Vacancy Announcement:
31 July 2017
Mae Sot, Thailand
Local Individual Contractor Agreement (UNOPS)
Availability of the Position As soon as possible
Scope of Assignment
Accountability (key results that will be achieved)
· Support is provided to establishing community activities which address the social, cultural, and livelihood needs of populations of concern.
· Support and advice is provided to involve the host community in the protection of persons of concern.
· The Age, Gender and Diversity (AGD) approach is applied in all aspects of his/her protection and solutions work on behalf of persons of concern.
· Ensure that communities of concern are fully aware and confident with the options/durable solutions open to them, so as to make fully informed decisions.
Responsibility (process and functions undertaken to achieve results)
· Assist in working with host communities to involve national civil society groups and community-based organisations in improving the protection of persons of concern
· Support implementing and operational partners as well as with displaced and local communities to develop community-owned activities to address, where applicable, the social, educational, psycho-social, cultural, health, organisational and livelihood concerns as well as child protection (including conducting Best Interest work when necessary) and prevention and response to SGBV.
· Design , provide support training initiatives of relevant actors in communities where relevant.
· Assist in analysing protection risks and capacities of communities of concern.
· Support participatory assessments and ongoing consultation with persons of concern.
· Collect data for monitoring of programmes and budgets from an AGD perspective.
· Accompany, and interpret for, senior management in their contacts with local interlocutors.
· Support efforts and relevant colleagues in advocacy with the local authorities to access local services where necessary
· Draft and type routine correspondence, documents and reports using word processing equipment and maintain up-to-date filing systems.
· Act as outreach focal points in designated camps to receive and to disseminate information on solutions in a culturally-appropriate way.
Authority (decisions made in executing responsibilities and to achieve results)
· Assist participatory AGD sensitive analysis as an essential basis for UNHCR’s work.
· Identify which individuals or groups to prioritize for counselling and field visits based on agreed criteria.
· Enter data in proGres and other databases as required for voluntary repatriation, resettlement and other durable solutions.
Qualifications and Required Competencies
· Completion of the Secondary education; Training in the related field of work.
· Minimum of three (3) years previous relevant job experience.
· Computer skills (MS Office, including Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Access)
· Fluency in English and working knowledge of another relevant UN language or local language.
· Knowledge of Administrative/financial rules, procedures, processes in the context of UNHCR offices and Field operations.
· UNHCR learning programmes (PLP).
· Knowledge of MSRP.
· Working knowledge of another relevant UN language an asset.
Please submit your Motivation Letter, P.11 form, Curriculum Vitae and a copy of official ID card/national passport indicating the vacancy announcement number and position title to:
Applications will not be acknowledged. Only candidates under positive consideration will be contacted for a written test and/or interview.
P.11 form can be downloaded from: http://unhcr.or.th/sites/default/files/p11.doc